Monday, May 11, 2009
Mother's Day miracles
My husband is working like a maniac. Really. He is on a schedule of 6 days on 1 day off. He goes to work at 1:15 pm and is supposed to get home at 1:15 am but not usually until about 2:30am. He gets Tuesdays off which usually are consisting of running errands, rest and yard work. Needless to say, I was not so excited for this Mother's Day. Andy got up on Sunday morning and showered so he could make it to 9am Sacrament meeting (our ward meets at 1pm). My children were quiet and getting along and my baby was still asleep so I decided to stay in bed and study some more on my Sunday school lesson. My children came and surprised me with breakfast in bed. Cereal, blueberries and two pieces of toast. With points friendly spray butter even! That was just the beginning. Ashlee got Katie up and fed her and took care of her until Andy came home. Then surprisingly, all of my children got along for the most part of the day and were even great at church! I was so greatful for them cooperating so much on this Mother's Day even though Dad wasn't around. Ashlee and the boys played after church so I even got an afternoon nap and then Ashlee helped me prepare dinner and the boys and baby were in bed by 7:30. Andy switched days off and is planning on taking me out on Wednesday so he didn't buy me the usual flowers but tonight a friend of ours brought me tulips. She said she thought I deserved it for Mother's Day! How nice right? She is a mother too so I feel like they should be hers but I accepted. I love tulips! Anyway, this Mother's Day I thought about how fortunate I am for such great mothers in my life. My mother is such a great example to me. The strength she has in the gospel, the examples she has set for me in nurturing others and serving in her callings. I am so grateful to call her my mother. Then there is my mother in law. Without her knowledge, sweet spirit and wisdom I would not have such a fantastic husband. I am so grateful to her for all of her examples and all of the nice things she has done to help mold my husband into the man he is. Then there are the grandmothers. Without their sweet spirits I wouldn't have my mothers. But another thing I thought about was all of my friends who are mothers. I have so many great friends who are great mothers and who's wisdom help influence me. Thank you. I love the things you share. Your experiences and knowledge have sometimes really helped me in thinking how I can better be a mother. I feel so fortunate for such fantastic examples in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I can imagine how hard it would be to have Andy working such a crazy shift. David doesn't work crazy hours, unless he's on-call, but he does do the 6 days on 1 day off bit every now and then, with Sunday being the day off. It's not easy playing mommy & daddy but it sounds like you've got some pretty neat kiddos who help out alot. I'm glad they were so good for you on Mothers Day and I hope your time with Andy is nice as well.
sounds like Ashlee gave you a better mothers day than JP gave me. Go figure!
Kevin works night and he works 6 days on and 1 day off, so I feel your pain. But I'm glad you had great mother's day.It was so sweet of your kids to make it special for you!
ahhh. I love mom's. And you're right, you DO have an awesome mom. It was so fun when she and Kim stopped by a couple months ago. Glad you had a great day!
i have always admired those who are married to shift workers. you were the first one i knew. i know i would have a really hard time with that scheduale. i am glad that you got a nice mother's day!
Post a Comment